In 1947, the Sisters of Divine Providence, a religious teaching community, was welcomed into the Archdiocese of Boston by Richard J. Cushing, Archbishop of Boston.
During their first two years in Kingston, the Sisters educated young pre-kindergarten and kindergarten age students on the grounds of the former Camp Mishannock. In the fall of 1948, the Sisters opened Sacred Heart School, Kindergarten- Grade 7, on Court Street in Plymouth, MA; and over the next 14 years, the Sisters built both the High School and the Elementary School in Kingston, as well as a residence for the Sisters. The Kindergarten program remained in Plymouth until the early 1970's, when it was re-located to the lower level of the Provincial Residence.
Population growth in the greater Plymouth area in the early 1980’s brought with it an increased demand for Catholic education and enrollment numbers rose dramatically. In the mid 1980’s the Student Activity Center, which included a Gymnasium, was constructed on the high school campus. Over time, a fitness center, music center, multiple athletic fields (baseball, softball, soccer, lacrosse), tennis courts, a track & field facility and on-campus cross-country trail were added to the High School and the Elementary School facilities. Sacred Heart School’s campus includes 120 acres, and is convenient to area highways and public transportation.
In 2006, realizing a long-held dream, the Sisters built a new, contemporary Early Childhood Center (ECC) on the grounds adjacent to the Elementary School. The Early Childhood Center opened for Kindergarten in August of 2007, and for the Preschool/Pre-Kindergarten Programs serving 3 and 4 year old children, in September of 2008.
Today, as a private, co-educational Catholic school system, Sacred Heart School offers educational opportunities for students throughout southeastern Massachusetts and Cape Cod in preschool through grade 12. In addition, Sacred Heart welcomes international students at the high school campus. School administrators and faculty, guided by the spirit and charism of the school’s founding Sisters, strive to help make God’s Providence more visible in our ever-changing world and work to foster a culture that embraces ‘truth through knowledge’ (Veritas) and ‘charity’ (Caritas) to others.
Proud of our Catholic foundation and tradition – Sacred Heart School welcomes students of all faiths and diverse backgrounds.
Sacred Heart School is a sponsored ministry of the Sisters of Divine Providence, founded in 1851 in Germany by Wilhelm Emmanuel von Ketteler, Bishop of Mainz, and Stephanie Fredericke Amalie la Roche von Starkenfels. http://www.cdpsisters.org